Friday, August 12, 2016

Introduction

Hi,  everyone! I can't believe it has taken me this long to start a blog. I always have so much to say and I'm happy to now have a platform for my ramblings. ;)
First, let me introduce myself! I'm Monica and I am a wife and mother of 3. This year I will be celebrating 16 years of marriage to my husband, Chad. Our children are Devin (22), McKinley(15), and Isaac(12).
I am starting this blog mostly to share my stitching projects. I am head over heels in love with my stitching and would talk about it non stop if I could. I will try my best to exercise some restraint. Ha, ha. Just kidding, that is not happening. ;)
I started stitching at age 17 and I think what drew me in was the beautiful rainbow rows of floss in my local Wal-Mart. Such eye candy! I bought a few kits and off I went to teach myself to cross stitch. I don't remember how it went in the beginning but my sister has a vivid memory of me with a huge knotted pile of floss and some not so nice words to go with it. I guess I figured things out by Christmas because I can remember gifting several people with my crafts. One of my first projects was a cockatiel stitched on a sweatshirt for my Grandmother. I had also stitched her name above it. I know it sounds a little weird, right? It really isn't because Grandma was a bird lover. She had several birds over the years who were a great joy to her. She wore the sweatshirt frequently and I was thrilled! When Grandma passed, I found the sweatshirt when we were cleaning out her house. I had to have it, yes indeed. My plans were to post a photo but lo & behold, my basement is once again a complete wreck and I am unable to find the tote it is in. I assure you, it will make an appearance once it's located.

Chad and I were married in 2000 and I did have a few stray projects lying around but was not serious about the craft anymore. Enjoying my new married life and starting a family were top priorities. It did not take long for my stitching to fall by the wayside. ....Fast forward to 2014 and joining Instagram!! Woot woot!! I am loving that Instagram! The first stitching that drew me in was the subversive things I had been seeing. There is some very funny stuff out there! I started a few projects... some funny, some naughty and I got a lot of laughs out of those. But let's be serious for second, they are only funny for so long. And some of the things I am seeing now days are down right rude. I am now lamenting over the time I wasted stitching these things. For gosh sakes I could have worked up some beautiful stitcheries in all that time!!
Anyway, I'll move on. :)

If you have followed me on Instagram you  know that I'm a Prairie Schooler loving fool. Most of you already know how fabulous their charts are but think of my sadness when I realized they were retiring a mere 7 months after I discovered them! Can't you hear my tiny sobs! Since, I have been collecting their patterns and have big plans for some of them(which i will happily tell you about in a later post!). I'm also thrilled they are reprinting some of the ones I missed out on while I was in the diaper changing era! Yeah!
Other favorite designers of mine are Little House Needleworks, Country Cottage Needleworks, Barbara Ana, Blackbird Designs, Plum Street Samplers, Threadwork Primitives, The Scarlett House  and most recently Pineberry Lane. The list really does go on & on.

Since joinging IG and connecting with other stitchers, I have spent countless hours ogling (& drooling) over their work. There are so many of you inspiring me these days!  I have slowly learned the stitchers lingo as well. I now know what a Wip, FFO, UFO, LNS, frog, 1/1, 2/2, 2/1, & RAK (Thanks to my dear friend Michelle!) are. There is even this intriguing thing   called Flosstube! What the what?! I have no idea how those ladies muster the courage to do those videos, I can't even stand listening to my own voice on a recording. Truth!  I've already grown leaps and bounds in my 2 1/2 years since coming back to stitching. Starting with an 11 ct. Aida to working 1 over 1 on 40 ct. Linen. I've even tea dyed a few pieces of fabric and loved the results. And the best part is, I have so many years in front of me! The last thing I want  to mention is how I've noticed the stitching community on IG is so supportive, caring, encouraging, friendly & kind to one another. That makes my heart happy and I am proud to be part of it.

I am so excited to see where my stitching journey takes me. I am even more thrilled to have your company along the way. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart, for your friendships. 

Until next time,
Monica

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous first blog sweet friend!! Happy Stitching! I also took about a 10 year break in cross stitching. A longer break in quilting. Glad you found your way back to the stitchy world✂✂✂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous first blog sweet friend!! Happy Stitching! I also took about a 10 year break in cross stitching. A longer break in quilting. Glad you found your way back to the stitchy world✂✂✂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you! Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie! I'm looking forward to getting to know you as well. I love your stitching!

      Delete
  4. A great first blog post! I look forward to reading many more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Ann for the warm welcome!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely first blog post Monica! Blogging is a lot of fun although I've been very remiss at keeping mine up to date lately - I spend way too much time on IG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lois! I'll be happy to figure things out here on Blogger. When I do, I can't wait to read up on your blog. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hey!! I wish we would have met sooner. I needed a friend to drag up to House of Stitches!! We must be long distance friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree girlfriend! I wish you were still here but looks like you have a beauty of a place to live now.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the stitching-blogging community, Monica--I am an IG newbie & you are a blogging newbie! I try to post twice a month on my blog, but IG is much quicker. I'm really enjoying it, but I can see that blogging builds more personal relationships. A lot of former bloggers seem to be returning to their blogs because they miss that more personal atmosphere. It is a lot of work, but it's so nice to have a little diary of your finishes, recipes, trips, etc. on hand...

    I love PS charts, too--they are my all time favorite :) If you visit my blog, you'll see lots of PS stitching that I've done over the past 7 years... I look forward to seeing your stitching both here and on IG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol, for the warm welcome! I have actually been reading your blog annonomously for a couple years now and have drawn incredible inspiration from you. When it comes to stitching, you are a rock star to me! Imagine my excitement when you joined IG and followed me first!! I was nothing short of amazed!
      It really is so nice to meet you. I am looking forward to having more time to spend figuring out blogger. But for now i have to get back to my canning. :) Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. Stumbled onto your blog! Look forward to returning and seeing your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thanks for the sweet comment! I'm hoping to get a blog post in today or tomorrow...so much stitching happening here that I want to share! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  9. Monica, it's a joy to have you as an IG friend, a stitching buddy, AND a fellow blogger! I just love what you're doing here already and can't wait to learn more about you. I've been sewing since I was 17, too. I have always been drawn to reproduction samplers, and the one I started at 17 was "The Chase." (Are you familiar with it? The original is in Williamsburg. It's still one of my all-time favorites!) It took me years and years to finish, but it now hangs in my parents' house. I could ramble on endlessly but will close this message tonight with my hearty congratulations to you on your endeavor. Looking forward to our future conversations! All the best to you! ~Amy <3

    ReplyDelete