Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Finishes, WIPs & Wild Ideas

Hi,  friends! I bet you were wondering if I was going to return, huh? I have to admit it is rather hard to find time to sit down and write these blog posts, especially this time of year. If you have followed me on Instagram you know that my "canning factory" has been going strong. Canning our homegrown foods has  become a passion for me. It is so satisfying to see those beautiful jars lined up at the end of the season, I can't even begin to express my contentment. I'll attach a photo so maybe you'll get a sense of my enjoyment. Nice, right?!


OK, now onto stitching! First I want to talk about something I like to call the "Santa Situation". About a year ago I was browsing Pinterest and saw where someone had stitched all of annual  Prairie Schooler Santa's on one piece of fabric and made a wall hanging out of it. Me-oh-my was that a beauty! I thought about it a long time & decided maybe , just maybe I could give it a whirl. So...that began my mission to collect all the annual Santa patterns. I had a few already, made a list and checked it twice for the ones I needed. It really wasn't that hard to acquire them all! I was surprised. I may have paid a little too much for them in the beginning, unknowingly. I don't regret it though, and I am thrilled to have them all.
The next step was to find a big piece of fabric to fit them all. I chose a 32 lambswool at Michaels. I don't remember the dimensions but it was huge. By my calculations they would all fit! Well.....after stitching the first & second  Santa it didn't take long to figure out the fabric was not going to hold all 32 of them. Bummer! Shortly I  realized that when I measured I was not taking into consideration stitching over 2 threads. Wahhhh! Anyway...I let the project sit for a good while. To cut or not to cut was the new Santa situation. If I kept stitching I could fit most of them but darn it....I want them all on it. So eventually I cut the 2 Santa's off. I will be finishing them into ornaments in the coming days, so stay tuned! So I'm on another quest for a large piece of fabric to hold all 32 Santa's. I might get the same 32 lambswool (because they were beautiful on it) but just stitch over 1. That's an idea!

Ok, onto recent finishes. I recently finished Pumpkins by The Scarlett House. My first time using 40 count fabric, I have to say ....I absolutely LOVE the look of 40 count. Yes it was a little difficult, especially the over 1's but totally worth it. A cheap pair of readers from WalMart helped tremendously!

Another finish was Fancey Blackett, Tea for Two by Pineberry Lane. What an adorable pattern. It was stitched on 32 Examplar using 1 over 1. There is such a delicate look to it, I just love it! I'm yet to get a full finish on it though. There's never enough time is there ladies?!
The last finish I want to show off is my mom's birthday gift, the Sunflower Santa by The Prairie Schooler. I finished it into a pillow ornament with the new -ish (to me anyway!)finishing technique that came with my last Pineberry Lane pattern. I will make a post soon & show all steps of this process if anyone is interested. I am over the moon for this finished Santa. In fact, I need to make one for myself now. Mom really liked it too!
I'm also doing a SAL with my friend Michelle right now. It is the Needleworker chart by Little House Needleworks. It is turning out really pretty, I just love the script!
Another Wip is Blackbird Inn by Little House Needleworks. I want this one hanging in my kitchen. I think it is just darling!
The 3rd and last Wip I want to show you is my favorite BUT my least favorite to work on. It is Chalk Squared  by Hands on Design. The most beautiful pattern ever! And the colors! Gorgeous! But the dark fabric.....ugh. I chose a 32 charcoal gray linen. It surely will be a beauty when finished. I'm done with the center piece (except buttons) and ready to start the floral  months. Exciting!

Thanks everyone for stopping by today! Sure hope I can get this to load with all the photos! Ha! (Newbie problems!)

I hope you all have a Wonderful week!!

Monica




******BE LOUD, Let your Colorshow******
                     The Avett Brothers


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching, and that is a lovely lineup of your canned food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my blog - right side - I have blogs I follow. The name of yours is "Intro" I'm not sure why it wont save as your blog name and I don't know how to fix it but thought you might want to know. Love your stitching. I didn't know Micheals carried Lambswool!! 123 Stitch has reasonable fabric prices - but one that big won't be reasonable lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a work of love with your canning! You have some super finishes and some good looking WIPs that you shared in this post. My favorites would be a toss up between the PS Santas and the Pumpkins piece by the Scarlett House.

    ReplyDelete